[RECIPE] Decadent Three-Layer Chocolate Cake by Juniper Green
Invite over some friends or take it to a holiday gathering! Juniper Green in Nashville has the perfect recipe for a this Decadent Three-Layer Chocolate Cake. Don’t skimp: find real whole buttermilk and butter to make this recipe rich and moist!
We suggest garnishing this Decadent Three-Layer Chocolate Cake with mint leaves or pansies to add additional springtime inspiration, perfect for your Easter or graduation gatherings.
RECIPE: Decadent Three Layer Chocolate Cake
Courtesy of Juniper Green in Nashville, Tennessee
- 1 ½ C All purpose flour
- ¼ C Coffee flour
- ¾ C Dark cocoa powder
- 1 C Brown sugar
- 1 TBSP Ground coffee
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 C Whole milk
- ½ C Olive Oil
- 2 Eggs, large
- ½-¾ C Coffee, room temperature
Whipped Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- 4 oz. Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 C + 2 Tbsp Heavy cream
- 12 TBSP Salted butter, room temperature
- 2 C Powdered sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Oil and dust (using coffee flour or cocoa powder instead of flour) the bottom and sides of three 8” round cake pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, cocoa powder, brown sugar, ground coffee, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine whole milk, olive oil and eggs until fully incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients to wet in three parts, mixing until just combined and scraping down the bowl each time.
- With mixer on low, slowly add ½ cup coffee until just combined. Add last ¼ cup if mixture too thick. (should be fairly thin)
- Pour batter evenly among the three oiled and dusted cake pans and bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- While cake is cooling, make ganache. Heat 1 cup of heavy cream until it comes to a low boil. Pour over chocolate (in a small bowl by itself) and let sit for 2 minutes. Stir and set aside until room temperature.
- While that’s cooling, using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk salted butter until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, remaining heavy cream and vanilla on low until combined, and then on high for 3-5 minutes until airy and whipped.
- Add cooled chocolate ganache into frosting and whip until mousse-like in texture.
- Torte and assemble cake with frosting between each layer using an off-set spatula to level edges.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!